Initial Course Registration 

Students are responsible for identifying implications for their satisfactory academic progress and enrollment status at the University, including impact on financial aid, which results from any change in registration. Students may consult with Academic Advisors to better understand issues of registration and its impact. 

Students are also responsible for verifying that all changes in registration are reflected in their official student record. 

Students must be registered to participate in a class. 

Students must initially register or be on a waitlist for the courses in which they wish to enroll prior to the beginning of each session or they will incur a late registration fee. Before registration, students should plan their program with their academic advisor. 

International students must obtain approval from Office of International Students when registering for the first time or for a new program, when registering below a full-course load or equivalent (Reduced Course Load), when registering for an internship, when taking an approved Temporary Leave, or when withdrawing from the University. This approval is in addition to the normal requirements and may not be waived. 

Add-Drop Period 

The add/drop period is the first 10 business days of the semester or the equivalent for summer terms. During the add/drop period, students may add or drop courses or change course sections, ADA University 2017 Catalogue September 11, 2017 30 except when academic unit or teaching unit explicitly prohibits it, without penalty or notice on their transcript. 

Waitlist Rules 

At an instructor’s discretion, a student on the Waitlist may participate in the course through the end of the add/drop period. If, by the end of the add/drop period, the student is not able to register for the course, the student must stop attending. 

Drop or Withdraw from a Course or from All Courses 

Dropping a course results in no record of the course on the student’s academic transcript. Withdrawing from a course results in a W recorded on the student’s academic transcript. In both cases, the cumulative GPA is not affected. 

Drop a Course 

Students may drop courses except for the last course, on the student portal before the tenth day of classes. 

A request to drop all courses or the last course must be completed in consultation with the academic advisor. Students must complete a Withdraw from All Classes Form and submit it to the Registrar’s Office. The date of the drop from each class will be based on the last date of attendance, which must be provided by the instructors and included with the submission of the Withdraw from All Classes Form. If a student’s last date of attendance is after the last day to drop a class and before the end of the tenth week of class, the student will receive a “W” for each course per the regulation on withdrawing from a course or from all courses. 

If a student drops all courses before the tenth day of classes and does not enroll in any other courses, the student will be separated from the University. Discontinuation of attendance at a class or notification to the instructor is not sufficient to constitute an official drop from a course. Occupied University housing must be vacated promptly by students who drop all classes. 

A student who drops all courses within the first 10 days should consult with an advisor to obtain a temporary leave if the student wishes to return the following semester. 

Withdraw from a Course 

After the tenth day of classes or the equivalent for the summer term, students may withdraw from a course on the student portal, up until the end of the tenth week of the semester or the equivalent for summer term. Some additional restrictions on course withdrawals may apply to specific academic programs and international students. Additional restrictions may also apply to courses used to satisfy the University minimum requirements. 

When students withdraw before the end of the tenth week of the semester or equivalent for other terms, a grade of "W" is entered for each course. Discontinuation of attendance at a class or notification to the instructor is not sufficient to constitute an official Withdrawal. 

To withdraw from all courses or from the last course, students must work with their academic advisor and file a Withdraw from All Classes Form. The date of the withdrawal from each class will be based on the last date of attendance which must be provided by the instructors and included with the submission of the Withdraw from All Classes Form. Occupied University housing must be vacated promptly by students who withdraw from all classes. 

The withdrawal policy may not apply if a student has been charged with a violation of the Honor Code or Student Code of Conduct. 

If a student leaves for non-medical reasons after the last day to withdraw from classes, the student will receive no reimbursement. In addition, the student should expect to receive failing grades for that semester, unless the student has arranged for an Incomplete grade with the course instructor. 

A student may not withdraw after the tenth week of class. 

Students may withdraw from no more than three courses during their tenure at the University and no more than one course per semester. 

Withdraw from All Courses Due to Medical or Catastrophic Events 

In the event a student encounters medical difficulties or a catastrophic event after the tenth week of the semester and wishes to withdraw from all courses, the student or the student’s designated representative must arrange with the Dean of the academic unit to initiate the process for leaving the University. 

All affected instructors will be consulted during this process. If a student is passing a class as of the date of last attendance, the student may request an Incomplete grade per the regulation on Incomplete Grades, rather than withdraw. 

Students are responsible for providing the Dean with documentation supporting the receipt of Incompletes and/or Withdrawals at this late point in the semester. Upon receiving and approving the documentation, the Dean will initiate a petition to have the Incompletes and/or Withdrawals recorded on the student’s transcript. The Vice Rector of Academic Affairs or designee makes the final decision for such Incompletes or Withdrawals from all courses.

Interruption of Studies Due to Temporary Leaves

A temporary leave is an interruption in studies from the University for a specified period after which the student is expected to return. A Temporary Leave is initiated by the student in consultation with the student's academic unit.

 There are four kinds of temporary leaves: 

• general, 

• medical, 

• military, and 

• trauma and bereavement leave. 

Medical covers only personal health reasons. Family health reasons are covered under a general temporary leave. 

Students on temporary leave are not registered with the University; therefore, their use of ADA University facilities will be limited to those privileges granted to the public. Students are responsible for understanding the implications of a temporary leave for housing, financial aid and progress toward the degree. International students are advised that taking a temporary leave may affect their student visa status and should consult with the Office of International Students in the Office of Student Services. 

Students who do not return at the end of the leave will be automatically separated from the University. Separated students must apply for readmission and must meet the then-current admission criteria and program requirements. 

Students may not take more than two years of leave. 

General Temporary Leave 

Students desiring a Temporary Leave should meet with their academic advisor. The academic unit will approve or deny the Temporary Leave request and will notify the Office of the Registrar when Temporary Leave is granted. Students must request the leave no later than within the first two weeks in the semester in which the leave will begin. 

The Temporary Leave becomes void if the student attends any domestic or foreign college or university during the period of leave, unless the student obtains a Permit to Study at Another Institution or a Medical Permit to Study from the academic unit. 

Medical Temporary Leave 

Students must request a medical leave of absence through the Office of the Dean of Student Services. The duration of a Medical Temporary Leave may be for up to one year for personal health reasons. The student should provide medical documentation that supports the requested action only to the Office of Student Services. The Office of the Dean of Student Services will notify the academic unit when a student is taking Medical Temporary Leave and will forward the verification to the Office of the Registrar. 

When the student is ready to resume studies, the student must request from the Office of the Dean of Student Services permission to return from a Medical Temporary Leave or to return from a semester during which they withdrew from all courses or received a reduced load that was approved for medical reasons. The Office of the Dean of Student Services will provide the academic unit with verification when the student is ready to resume studies at the University. 

Military Temporary Leave 

Students may be required to leave the University to fulfill military obligations. In the instance of such absences, students must inform the Dean of Student Services in advance of their absence(s) during a semester and plan to complete course requirements. 

Students who require leaves for military reasons must provide a copy of their military orders to the Dean of Student Services and must obtain a Permit to Leave. 

Students may resume their studies at the University if arrangements are made for their return within the first six months following the end of their absence and if the University still offers the degree program. They may continue to work for the same degrees in which they were enrolled at the interruption of their studies in accordance with the regulations in effect at the time they left. 

Trauma and Bereavement Policy 

In the event of a personal tragedy or trauma, students may need to coordinate alternative arrangements to complete coursework. Students or their authorized representative may contact the academic unit. If students think it is not in their best interest to complete the semester or to return to campus the next semester, they may elect to take a Temporary Leave or separate from the University.